Wednesday, December 16, 2009

To Kiss or to Cry?

With so many options of Christmas candies, I have to chuckle to myself realizing how every candy that has been good during any time or season, seems to be on the shelves now just with green and red on them and an inflated price tag, simply because it screams "Christmas". I even see Mini Eggs in Christmas colors!! Easter bunny eggs!? Wow. I look at the Hershey Kisses in green and red foil, anything that markets to our society and brings in the $$$.

As I look at a hershey kiss on the table at a Christmas event, I wonder why in the world it is called a "Kiss" when it looks like a tear drop to me?

Then I thought, wow... that would be a great gift for Judas (the disciple who betrayed the Lord with a kiss.)

I read this passage just recently,

Luke 22:46-48

Jesus Arrested
47While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?"


As I mediate deeply on this thought, I am truly blown away at how the very intimate nature of a KISS would be the very thing the enemy would use to betray our Lord.

A kiss is defined as an expression of love, affection, greeting, reverence with one's mouth.

Is there anything more intimate than a heartfelt kiss? Even prostitutes are taught not to kiss for then they can become too attached to the individual.

But here Satan takes something God has meant for such joy and intimate expression, and poisons it to betray the Son of God.

I love the way Jesus even calls him out on it. "Judas, Are you betraying the Son of Man with a KISS?" As if to say, "you've got to be kidding...."

The kiss of death.

Lesson to learn: the enemy is crafty at disguising evil. He takes even the intimate innocence of a beloved kiss, and causes it to sting.

Be careful. Be on guard. Be wise. Read Proverbs 27:6.

It's amazing what a Chocolate teardrop, called a "Kiss" does to me just sitting on my table at the Christmas banquet. LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment