Monday, December 21, 2009

Chalk a Lot?

Today God convicts me to get out this 24 X18 inch chalkboard that was lying in the garage and to hang it in the laundry room on the wall beside the door leading to the garage. This is a common used door for all of us, especially as our recycling sits out there but its also a wall that can be seen from onlookers being entertained in our kitchen.

I feel a desire to ensure our children have scripture/God's wisdom with them as much as possible. I find the Proverbs to have excellent thoughts for the day; full of insight and knowledge. And so I write on it Proverbs 21:21. "He who pursues righteousness and love, finds life, prosperity and honor."

My husband is beginning to understand my deep morning times with God. He never quite knows what to expect, other than my heart is incredibly sensitive in these times to what He is stirring or speaking to it. So today without a word, I rummage through the garage and then take the hammer and nails. I can just imagine what is going through his beautiful mind as he is making breakfast. lol!

As I hammer away and hang the board with the verse, he comes around the corner, puts his arms around me as he kisses me reading the verse, and says, "I love you." At that very moment I think of the Proverbs 31: 28 "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her" (I aspire to be the Proverbs 31 woman. This a prayer of mine.)

I didn't even mention the chalkboard to the kids but knew they would see it as you can't walk by it without reading it.

It was later Christmas shopping with my new son, that he asked about it, which made me smile. He thought it was a great idea, and was quite taken back by my creativity in such an endeavour. :) Those that know Daniel, will know that those are his exact words.

As parents what we chose to focus on will spill to our children, good or bad. For children, it will do us well to immerse ourselves in the wise words of our Creator who knows all. Start in the Proverbs. Perhaps one a day on a post it note, in your locker or your mirror? You'll be amazed at how these words will be valuable for all the days of your life.

I'd like to think my reward was hearing Daniel recite the whole verse to me in the mall that afternoon, by his own initiative; but something tells me that is only to show me how quickly God will work if I simply do my part in obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment