Monday, December 7, 2009

Honorable Love

When two people mutually want the utmost honor for one another is that not a beautiful picture of love?

Read John 5:22-23 This is such an amazing picture of the relationship the Father and Son have. They mutually want what's best for one another. Do we desire that in our marriages? Really? Do we respect our children the way we want them to respect us?

I've been working on this with both my husband and children. When people honor them, they really do honor me. When I honor my daughter, she is moved and inspired to return that honor to me.

It wasn't that long ago, a pack of gum she'd bought was sitting on the counter. As I reached for the pack to grab a piece, I could hear His voice, "Shouldn't you ask her before taking one?" I was simply going to dismiss the voice thinking it was something so insignificant... and yet was convicted. I submitted realizing it was HERS. If I respected her, I would honor her in this. And so I did. (It wasn't easy. I really wanted a piece!)

When she came home I told her about the situation. She was truly blown away and felt so respected that I would honor her with this. She gladly gave me a piece but with this piece came a deeper trust and respect built in our relationship.

Only God can make a stick of gum so incredibly valuable! May we not miss an opportunity to show honor to those you love, even in the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment