Friday, December 11, 2009

Outstanding Debts

Random 1: I read an ad for a Green Environment campaign that says, "We're all guests on planet earth." Amen to that. ( 1Peter 2:11)

Random 2: While travelling I realize a dead blackberry is useless. How often we forget chargers! What good is the best blackberry without a charger and a dead battery?! Really. The charger is essential or else the device is useless. God reminds me that so is our lives, without Him as the charger. Not just that but we constantly need to recharge. Daily!

Feature: The greatest today was feeling the joy of being obedient to the nudge of the Spirit 2 weeks ago. It came after performing the funeral for a 26 year old beautiful and talented woman who died unexpectedly. I felt a nudge and longing to go back to Ontario and visit my own parents. I did the funeral Sat, and really asked God again that Sunday morning if He would make it clear if I should go. The young woman's mother who had passed away, came back to church that Sunday to find me (she also lives in Ontario) to tell me that I should visit my parents. ??? She had no idea of my conversation with God that morning and so we embraced each other in the lobby and shared tears together.

Today I am writing this blog from my father's computer in Ontario. :) His NEW laptop...I'll let you know! He's keeping up on his technology. I just flew back to surprise them. How wonderful it was to trick my mom into asking for another coat size at her work, when she turned to help and saw it was me, speechless. She just stood and stared. And then as she came around the counter and hugged me something happened in my spirit, for I don't often cry at these encounters. But as she held me as mom's do and wept, I joined her. My spirit at peace, glued to that of my mother. We couldn't move for a bit but just stood in the middle of the store crying and hugging. The store manager was tearing up. People wondered if we were filming a Hallmark movie?? LOL!

From there we surprised Dad too and when he realized I wasn't just piggybacking on a speaking engagement here, but that I'd come specifically to see him, a switch went on and the overwhelming love in his heart gushed. How I love my parents.

The move across the country from them, has been hard. I've missed my Sundays with Dad pondering and talking deep scriptures, talks of current affairs, fixing something together, or having him remind me of my weakness on the tennis court. I've missed mom's caring ways, her sensitivity to matters of the heart, decorating with her, and her incredible listening ear.

I don't talk much of my parents, perhaps because it hurts when you can't always see them as much as you want to, but I've stayed up even now talking with my youngest sister.. (who's a HOOT by the way!) just reminding each other of what amazing parents we have. We are truly blessed!

Christmas isn't about the "merchandise" giving as much as the gift of BEING together and sharing moments full of love that really are priceless. There's only one debt I will carry through Christmas, and only one.

Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the debt to love one another.


Here and There.
Now and Forever.
Mom and Dad, I love you.
xo










No comments:

Post a Comment