Sunday, January 3, 2010

Most Important - Soles or Souls?

Yesterday I went for one of the longest runs I think I've ever done, completely unintentional. Is this possible? (I know my husband is laughing as he reads this for he knows it to be true of me. No big plan but a desire to run and be FREE with my God.) I so enjoyed being out and gallivanting in the mild day along the river, looking at snow capped mountains and a clear still lake in the distance. I loved just talking with God and pondering things of this year that I had lost track of time and distance. My body started to signal to me that I'd been running for a while for my hamstrings we getting pretty tight which rarely happens. I didn't look at my watch until the very end. Even now I'm trying to map quest my distance to give you and accurate reading but all I can say is it was over 35 km.

Those of you that are aware of my running style know that I don't really keep track or train with any human facilitating but rather just run freely.

Interesting lesson observed in this time though, as I had a blister before I even started from my run the day before. I was wearing a different pair of shoes that day causing unknown pressure in a snug area that created a painful blister. But that didn't stop me. Frustrating and incredibly painful for the first 2 km... but then as my foot numbed itself, so did the pain and it wasn't realized again until I took my sock off.

Also my Bose headphones seemed to have only one ear at full volume, the other so faint you couldn't hear anything really. ?? Just imagine how annoying this is going to be with music in one ear. Again so frustrating for about 3 km then, I got used to it and by the end didn't notice.

My run changed from snowy gravel wet icy trail to pavement about half way through. Initially when first running on the icy trail I couldn't run with the same aggressive manner, given the chance of slipping. I had to place my feet more delicately. For the first km again, this was frustrating and took some adjusting but after that I got into the rhythm again. The same was true of the reverse, in that my feet and legs had to adjust to the new traction when I immersed to the payment again. Taking about another km to roll back into this grove and regaining a smooth stride.

As I'm pondering all of this, I can tell He has a different lesson to teach me that will take me deeper.

You see Carrie, even things that aren't comfortable initially can be worn down to feel normal once you are in it for a while. This can be a good thing, but also a bad thing. Be mindful of it. For when you are in the wrong culture, company, or situation, though it may initially feel wrong if you don't follow through on that conviction to remove yourself it will be dulled down in time to feel normal.

Here's an example: Do you feel convicted around a certain friend because their views, morales, standards, the way they value their education, or just float through athletic/musical training, the way they foolishly spend money, all of these habits, even the way they speak? Be careful for eventually they'll begin to wear off on you the more you are around them. You also won't notice it as much as you did the first time.

Our conscience is such a gift to us. Paul reminds us that if it becomes dull or seared it won't be any good to feel with sensitivity, the things that are best for your life.

1 Timothy 4:2 Hypocritical liars are those whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.
Titus 1:15To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

We must do what we can to be careful to not let down our guard that are our driven desires or bench mark of values become watered down to feel normal, especially by the influences around us. From friends to family, boyfriends, girlfriends, to peers, to work places, to entertainment sources, to where you sit in the classroom or at lunch, etc...etc... all will indirectly influence us for good or bad.
Proverbs 13:20He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

This year make the right choices to surround yourself with good influences that will inspire and bring the best out in you. It's a choice you can make.

1 Corinthians 15:33Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

God inspires me even this morning, as I look to Him for divine inspiration in my life. I am reminded of the story of Eric Liddell and how he would run only to honor His God to the point of not even running on the Sunday of the actual Olympics that he had trained for. (He chose never to run on Sundays to honor His God and the desire He has for us to have a day of rest, even for our bodies.) The world thought He was crazy!! He opted to trade the 100m and run a 400m race instead a few days later, and won it. Though people made fun of his training regiment, style, etc. he simply enjoyed running. He is known for His quote, "When I run, I feel HIS(God's) pleasure." I am inspired in this even today for this completely echoes my heart even in my run yesterday. I simply find joy in it and I can feel His oneness and pleasure in such a deep way.

I do desire above all, and hence the time put in sharing this blog, to HONOR God. If that means He wants me to run for Him one day, I'll be open to it. For this summer He prompted me to run my first half marathon, to which my lack of detailed training routine left me in awe of the standings. I've included the link so you testify to the truth.
http://www2.canada.com/westerly/news/story.html?id=caa8fbf9-9675-4928-a2a4-f9dac4e8ad0c

But MOST important to me is running the race of life well. To inspire and motivate those around me to run together keeping our eyes fixed on the prize. Therefore let's run surrounded with Good Company, that together we'll inspire each other to give it all we got!!

1 Corinthians 9:24, Hebrews 12:1 It will be a great start to look these up in your bible, underline them, put them on post its, etc. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment