Monday, January 4, 2010

Eagles' Wings

For those that have emailed me asking how the change came from Telus Sales Manager in Toronto, Ontario to Senior High Youth Pastor in Kelowna, BC, I have briefly updated the "About Me" section to help. I'm sure I will write of it more soon.

***
We received a large picture of an eagle as wedding gift from two dear women from Calgary, that has the verse Is 40:31 inscribed on it. It hangs in our bedroom.

Isaiah 40:31but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Then at Christmas I got another plaque from another beloved girlfriend in Edmonton with a card that is penned with a significant passage on her heart for me which is in Psalm 91.
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Then yesterday as I'm thinking more on Eric Liddell's life(which I wrote of in yesterday's blog) I find that on the Sunday he was supposed to run in the Olympics he actually preached at a church to which he read, Isaiah 40. The parallels were stirring my Spirit.

So I took all of this together and sat and meditated on the two passages. I hear the song on Friday, by Chris Tomlin "I Will Rise" and my Spirit is moved deeply with it. Take a moment and listen to it after reading this.

It was yesterday that we went to see Avatar. As I sat there watching it, the part I am struck by is the ultimate power that is achieved with the main character when he becomes one with the flying creature and soars and sees things from on high. Near the end he brilliantly is able to get a top of the largest dominating creature in the air becoming one with it and this makes him so powerful. He can go anywhere really.

It then dawns on me the deep power available to us when we mount on the wings of eagles and how that is what God desires for us. Also in Psalm 91 how He becomes that powerful eagle for us that desires to protect us under His wing and shield us by allowing us the freedom to fly but only when we become one with Him.

Now don't get me wrong... this doesn't mean we're going to literally fly through the air, BUT I do believe there is a source of power and strength for those who walk boldly in faith. Who TRUST fully with their lives, in our God. Who HOPE is in HIM alone. He will guard and protect us. I guess the question is do we truly believe that?

And even as they portrayed in Avatar, it wasn't just an easy walk on the plane approach. It was a test and a battle to overcome but when faith risked to fight the evil, to the point of risking one's life (dying to self) it was then that he overcame.


1 John 5:5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvrBQL8swLI

I will rise on eagles' wings.
I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment