Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Now that's LEADERSHIP!

In my daily bible reading, I'm struck by a rather surprising yet beautiful "behind the scenes" look into Moses character. Yes Moses... the GREAT leader chosen to lead over a million Israelites out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Not an easy task for any great leader!! I wonder how Obama, Harper, Lincoln, Jefferson, Clinton, the Queen, etc... would do given that many people on camels, donkeys and their own feet through a desert to an unknown place. Can you imagine?? No maps, no phones, emails, gps, no microphones, no idea of where and when they will arrive??? Come on... you gotta admit... Moses was not GOOD He was GREAT! Really. Sure he had issues we all do, but what a task God used this man to accomplish! What an honor to be used by God but even more than that to have such an intimate relationship with Almighty God. I believe there a are 2 reasons that made Moses such a great leader, one is his humility. When we are truly humble we desire to give God all the glory realizing our rightful place. Humility reminds us that it's not all about us... but rather God and others. Our society seems to be on a drought of humility these days. Sad but true. Second was his incredible relationship with God. He spoke with God constantly, listened to Him, moved when He said, taught the people His laws, pleaded with God and reveled in His majesty. Moses got it. He realized that life was a relationship with God.
So what was the surprising yet beautiful glimpse I read? Was it "Now Moses was very humble. More humble than all the people on the earth?" (Numbers 12:3) No. Was it God declaring to his own brother and sister about Moses that "He is the most faithful in all My house. I speak with him face to face. He sees the form of the Lord." (Numbers 12:7.8) No. Although those are both goodies I've come across before. Today it is when the people have a dilemma about a situation they didn't have a rule for they came to Moses (Numbers 9:6,7) And this being a new one to Moses he responds with, " And Moses said to them, 'Stand still, that I may hear what the LORD will command concerning you." (Numbers 9:8) And the next verse shows God speaking to Moses on this issue. I LOVE Moses saying, " Good question... Let me just go check with God." Two things are beautiful to me. 1. He was humble enough to say, "I don't have the answer despite being their leader, but that God had it." 2. He walks and talks with God so readily it's as if he's stopping by his Father's house or giving him a call on the way home from work to just ask His advice.

My self examination of God's word that pierces my heart today, "Do I lead with such humility?" and "Is my first response to always go to Him right away for the answer. Even in front of all the people?"

Lord, 'tis you I desire to honor, listen and obey. Have your way in me that I may lead according to your standards, not this world's. I don't care if they call me Crazy. May my heart ooze a sincere humility and may this world know that I live and move and walk and talk and have my being in you and with you all the days of my life.

Yours,

C

No comments:

Post a Comment