Thursday, October 7, 2010

When Father Speaks

For the last 3 weeks since Youth has started up again I must confess I've been so thankful to God for the incredibly large group of young people He is drawing to us. I really love to get to know them. To look beyond what the human eye sees to understand more of their hearts and who they really are. The reality check comes when I see how harassed by the world they are; how much turmoil they come from whether families, friends, pressures..etc. Their lives are becoming isolated and they are moving in it for they know nothing else, and yet their hearts ache for someone to believe in them, someone to genuinely listen, care, protect, connect with them with their minds undivided. They are fed more knowledge, more freedom, more food and caffeine, more entertainment, luxuries and fun than previous generations... yet in the very depths of their hearts they are longing for love and truth more than they even realize. My heart aches as I witness this, yet I shall not bow to such idols or even release them to them, but rather I shall fight to grab hold of them and speak truth in love, believing in them.

I have begun to witness the change in some already and what joy it fills me with to know their steps are now purposeful, bold, strong, courageous on the straight and narrow running hard for the truth they now believe in.

I say all of this as today I read the verse we've heard many times, right after Jesus first is revealed to people at the age of 30 and is baptised, the heavens open and His Father speaks and affirms him. It's so beautiful. "This is MY SON, WHOM I LOVE, with him I am WELL PLEASED" (Matt 3:17)

He's honoring, cherishing and loving His Son, not only to him, but in front of others. Wow. The power and love that was bonded in that very moment. The affirmation that every child longs for from their parents, especially a Father.

For many years of my life I never had this, nor did Brea. But as we walked in obedience with God and relied on him truly as a husband and Father He began to affirm us and declare His love in countless ways. We were both so smitten. And now God has brought us both Roger, in whom is one of the most affirming, loving, encouraging male influences I have known to date. I see how all 3 of our children are going strong in the Lord by this love and encouragement from him and myself.

And now I look at the young people that know not this human or heavenly love and affirmation, and yet Roger and I (and 10 other God fearing young adults) are committed to truly believing in these that He brings us. They are God's ... He is simply asking that we do our best to love them the way He asks us to.

Not an easy task, but a rewarding one as we see these young lives take on a new boldness for the sake of the true love and pleasure that God has for each of them. Boldness in a belief that is worth dying for. The same boldness that affirms Jesus again on the Mount of transfiguration inspiring him of his Father's love despite the death He would soon face.

KNOW HIS love and deep pleasure for you. REALLY KNOW IT. For when you do... your heart begins to ache to be united with Him one day soon. He is my Daddy, in whom I love, with Him I am beyond pleased... let's try "passionately intoxicated with". :)



p.s. For those of you that have been asking for a recent audio of my speaking, here you go:
http://www.trinitybaptist.net/media.php?pageID=7 (You won't be able to tell with the audio only, but the passage I spoke on I recited from memory to hit home the emphasis of the theme "Thy Word have I Hidden in my Heart.")

With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment