Sunday, September 4, 2011

Holiness - Not for the "Common" Folk

When I say "Holy" what comes to mind?  Really.  Think about it.  "Holy, holiness."  What thoughts come to your mind?

Initially in my spiritual walk and even before, it seemed somewhat scary to me?  Too religious, unattainable, even foreign.  When we talk of it today many laugh, mock or roll their eyes to such a term.  And yet today in my spiritual walk and growth of Him being in me, I find myself craving it more.  Not to the world or what people think but in my own personal pursuit.  I am blown away that God would deem me as a holy one of His.

So how does this happen in a young person?  What does it look like?  Does it mean I wear nun clothing, a wooden cross, ride a horse, eat only bread and water, and never watch a digital screen again?  No.  I realize that holiness is such a defining quality of our God.  He's perfect and therefore holiness is Him.  Holiness means to be "Set apart". I just read today this verse that made this come to light even more, in Ezekiel of all places.  God is displaying his unhappiness about a few things that are very important to HIm.  Ezekiel 22:26 "They do not distinguish between the holy and the common.  They teach there is no difference between the clean and unclean."  God is upset with His spiritual leaders that they have not taught the importance of this to the people.

Then I got thinking about this in my life.  Do I teach this as a pastor to those around me?  Not by just words, but how I live.  You see holiness, is RARE.  God says that.  "They do not distinguish between the holy and the COMMON."  Therefore the Holy things are uncommon.  Do I feel uncommon in the world?  Was my desire to be pure and abstain in sexual relationships before marriage made fun of?  Oh yes, it sure was, even by reporters that were doing articles on me in newspapers.  As a woman in my 30s who quite frankly enjoys love and the physical aspect of it, devoting herself and her body to GOD??  Why... because I want to be like Him.  I DO want to be deemed as Holy.  Why?  Because that's a great quality in which God stands alone, He sets us apart with a desire to abstain from things of the world that we might be known as HIS.

Think of the Princess Kate and Prince William and the dignity they exude.  The class and respect that is theirs.  Do you know GOD WANTS that for us??  How do we do that?

When we don't fall to trashy common things.  It's like smoking cigarettes.  As I keep putting that in my body my lungs will be blackened and eventually maybe even cancerous.

What we keep letting into our soul will either become hazardous to us or nourish and refresh us.  How does it get in?  All of our senses/members (as Apostle Paul calls them) let these things in.  Our eyes that lust, our ears that listen and take things in, our mouths that allow toxic things as well as let out profanity, sword slashing wreckage at times, our hands that touch things they shouldn't or hurt, our feet that rush into sin quickly taking us places we shouldn't be, etc,etc.  You get it.  So does that mean again I chain myself up and live a life of solitude?

No, it simply means, that I want my eyes to be careful what they filter to put in my soul.  So yes I will turn away from a handsome man in his bathing suit as I simply want to keep my eyes desiring and pure always intoxicated for my husband and our love.  As a result, our intimacy on this level is the best I have ever known, even to this weekend ;)  I believe this is blessing God gives those who guard this!  Perhaps you don't know because you haven't tried?
My mouth, can enjoy a glass of wine or two, but am I going to indulge in a way that the same mouth will then puke because my liver can't keep up?  No.  Why?? So I do things I don't remember later?  I WANT to remember the things I do.
My hands might desire to use my credit card to buy something I don't need only working in tandem with my eyes, so I simply don't go to the mall to spend idle time, then I'm just tempted to see nice things that I really don't need.  I could go on.. but you get the idea.  Even the magazines and shows you watch will influence your obsessions with fashion, body image, sex, relationships,etc.... be careful.  So why would I resist all of this??  There was a time when I didn't and you know what, I can honestly say the "high" lasts for a moment, maybe a few hours but then you come crashing again.

When you begin to get control by asking God in you to help you, He starts to help you come out of this common, hamster wheel cycle to realize that there's far greater things in life to be had most importantly a clear vision on the purpose of your very life.

One of the greatest promises that I am beginning to experience and long for more, is that the "pure in heart will see God". (Matt5:8) When we keep ourselves from the enemy's territory we realize the promise land that exists for us even here and now and we begin to see much more clearly God and His ways.  Not only in our lives but even others.  It's awesome.

So holiness.... it's an absolute full out pursuit and desire of mine, oh that the angels would one day begin to see more of Christ in me in His holiness. That more and more angels are needed to encamp around me as I become more and more of a threat to the enemy of bringing others to this great light.  Stay focused.  Ask HIM for help... then move towards the light... you will not go back.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.  (Psalm 34:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment